Sunday, November 18, 2012

Write Yourself a Letter

       This afternoon my eleven year old daughter got to work on her own newsletter. I was so impressed with her article that I asked if she would be my guest writer this week. She agreed, so I have included her article here. I love her ritual of writing herself a letter and leaving it in her seasonal clothing box when it goes out to storage. Last year when David brought in her clothes he found a note she had written to herself - an note from the "past Rebecca" to the "future Rebecca". We didn't know that she had had this ritual for a while. We were so amazed by her letter and her ability to be tender with herself. I have included that letter at the end of her article. I hope that you will write your future self a letter. Seems like a great Thanksgiving Ritual! ~Beth 


Self Help Tip: 
Write Yourself a Letter
by Rebecca G.  Molaro
“Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom.” ~Aristotle
I was thinking about the things I should do this weekend and I saw a big box full of my summer clothes in the middle of my room. I had been putting off sending my clothing out to the storage shed because of a personal ritual have. I always write a little personal letter to myself and put it in the box for me to find the following season. I decided that I was done having this big box in the middle of my room and so I decided I should write the letter today. Then I got to thinking that it would be helpful to everyone if they wrote a letter to themselves each year or every season or so.

Writing letters to yourself is a great way to get in tune with your feelings and emotions. It helps you to understand yourself and what you were thinking about when you wrote the letter. You can also set goals for yourself and then see when you open the letter if you completed your goals. You can talk about your dreams and plans for life and how you want to go about things.

I encourage YOU to write a letter to yourself. If you have certain seasonal decorations that you get out each year, at the end of the season you can put your letter in with those things or you can put it in a box that you will find one day. It is so special when you forget about writing the letter and then find it. I hope you enjoy this ritual as much as I do! 
All the wonders you seek are within yourself. ~Sir Thomas Browne

No comments:

Post a Comment