Sunday, February 23, 2014

Healthy Pizza


"We are indeed much more than what we eat, but what we eat can nevertheless help us to be much more than what we are".
~Adelle Davis 

 
     Since June, my husband and I have made a big change in our diet. We cut out gluten, grains, potatoes, and SUGAR! It has been an amazing journey and we both feel better than ever. One thing that we really missed was easy food, like pizza! I kept reading about cauliflower pizza, which didn't really sound like a good thing. But one day a friend who eats like us was raving about a pizza recipe that used cauliflower as a main ingredient in the crust… So I decided that it was worth a try and it was fantastic!
     IT was so amazing that this pizza has become a one of our favorite meals each week. If you can still do cheese, you are in luck! Watch this video for step by step instructions by Dr. Berg! I started with Dr Berg's instructions but have modified things a bit. 

Basic Pizza Crust Recipe 
2 cups grated cauliflower
2 cups grated cheese
2 eggs
I like to add 1/4 cup of flax meal to the mix. 

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Mix the above ingredients. It will be wet and sloppy. Cut a piece of parchment paper to fit your pizza pan or stone. Spread the mix on the parchment paper and shape into a thin pizza crust. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes.
Prepare your toppings. I have made this with either a pesto or tomato sauce. I like to sauté the meat and veggies that I use on top (usually sausage, mushrooms, and onions). And top with grated cheese.
Return to the oven. I drop the temperature to 350 degrees and bake for 15 minutes.
This recipe makes one regular size pizza.
Enjoy! 
"You don't need a silver fork to eat good food."
~Paul Prudhomme 

No comments:

Post a Comment